Sustainable On-Campus Living
UCCS is committed to eliminating its energy use and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. By becoming a student at UCCS, you are now part of the mission. It is all about the choices you make because they have an effect on our campus community.
Many of our buildings have achieved LEED Gold certification, a designation outlined by the Environmental Protection Agency's criteria for energy efficiency. Copper, Eldora, La Plata, San Juan, and Cucharas Houses all meet this benchmark. In an effort to make all residence halls more sustainable, various retrofits have been equipped to the interior and exterior of the buildings:
- High efficiency shower heads have been added to Summit Village. These shower heads out put 1.5 gallons per minute (gpm) - versus the 2.5 gpm of standard shower heads.
- Hydration stations are installed in Copper, Eldora, La Plata, Cucharas, and San Juan to help eliminate plastic water bottle use on campus and plastic bottles from entering the landfills.
- LED overhead lighting helps to conserve energy while also lasting longer than traditional incandescent bulbs.
- Exterior rain gardens take advantage of rainfall and stormwater runoff to help nurture native plant selections.
Now, what can you do to help?
- Download the PIPs app and start earning for sustainable actions!
- Bet you can't take an 8-minute shower? Or 5? Prove us wrong and save water.
- Don't let the water run while brushing your teeth or shaving.
- Switch to LED light bulbs. They're energy efficient and you can choose the light color based on what room or activity you're using it for.
- Turn off electrical equipment like your computer, tv, and lights when leaving the room. Using a power strip allows you to do this at once.
- Use natural daylight instead of turning the lights on.
- Look for the ENERGY STAR® certified sticker on any appliances you purchase.
- Grab a blanket or bundle up in layers of clothes instead of turning up the heat.
- Remember that the items you bring with you leave with you. Pack it in, Pack it out, Leave No Trace.
- Going somewhere? Consider alternative modes of transportation like bike, bus, or carpool with a friend.
- Spread the word! Knowledge is power. By letting your friends know what they can do, all of us will work together to help make UCCS more sustainable.
Want to get more involved in sustainability on campus? Visit the Office of Sustainability to find out more.